Monday, May 13, 2013

Pillsbury introduces gluten-free pizza, pie & cookie dough

If you haven’t been feeling friendly toward the Pillsbury Doughboy since going gluten free, it might be time to re-think your relationship.

Pillsbury, a bastion of gluten-filled refrigerated tubes of bread, biscuits and cookies, has moved into the gluten-free market.

The brand, which is owned by General Mills, recently announced a new line of gluten-free products featuring tubs of pizza, pastry and chocolate chip cookie dough. The products will be available nationwide this summer and in most major supermarkets by August. You’ll be able to find the dough tubs in the refrigerated aisle alongside other Pillsbury products.

“Several members of the General Mills family either have celiac disease themselves or have a close friend or relative who does,” said Rachel Dickens, Pillsbury media relations representative. “Hearing our employees’ and consumers’ stories brought to life an untapped need for delicious gluten-free products and prompted us to find a solution.”

The pie and pastry dough is made with gluten-free starches and rice and sorghum flours and is egg and dairy free. One serving contains 250 calories.

The thin crust pizza dough, made with tapioca starch, whole sorghum, whole millet and rice flours, contains egg but is dairy-free and 170 calories per serving.

The chocolate chip cookie dough is made with a brown sugar and rice flour base and contains eggs, soy and dairy. One cookie is 110 calories.

Get the full ingredient list and nutrition information on the General Mills website.

General Mills uses “stringent” programs to prevent the risk of cross-contamination, and has taken “specific steps to ensure that the process and equipment used does not provide any opportunity for gluten or gluten-containing ingredients to get into its products,” according to a Pillsbury spokesperson.

.

Hillary Casavant

13 comments:

Gf searcher said...

When and will your gf products be available in Canada

Keara said...

Yea! Finally! Can hardly wait...now, please do biscuits! I really miss those

Anonymous said...

The only thing that sucks is I haven't seen it yet and their website only has a search for the betty crocker and bisquick gluten free mixes not the Pillsbury tubs to find it at a store near your location. I wish they would have that part up.

Anonymous said...

The only thing I don't like is they do not list it on the product search. I have not seen it so far where I live and would love to have it so I went to their website and you can search for stores in your area that sell a specific product. The only gluten free they have to search is betty crocker and bisquick. I wish they would put that on their website search as well so we know where we can find it locally.

Unknown said...

Looks like a lot of empty calories...

Mellissa said...

I think I might cry... in a good way!

Mellissa said...

I think I might cry... in a good way!

Artemis Elena said...

Thank you very much. Finally looking forward to eating cookie dough again.

Artemis Elena said...

Thank you very much. Looking forward to eating homemade pies and cookie dough again.

Clohesmama1 said...

Thank you very much. I am looking forward to making a pie that I did not have to donate hours to making the crust after having had to try out a dozen recipes to find one that worked out nice and flaky.

I read that you will be rolling it out this summer and I sure wish that I knew when.

Clohesmama1 said...

Whoopee! You mean I won't have to keep buying this incredible and expensive array of flours in order to do even the simplest of things? I hope this is economical. I know that it can cost more and that the safety procedures cost as well, but.... I am celiac. I have no choice and it is awful to try and afford all these specially things on a fixed income. So please happen soon and be affordable!
Thank you

Unknown said...

I hear ya

redrocks said...

I just made a batch of the chocolate chip cookies- OMG delicious!
I can't believe I got so emotioal but it was wonderful to eat an actual cookie that tasted like a cookie.
Thank You Pillsbury!!!@